We are constantly being bombarded with ads about the latest fitness equipment that’s supposed to make exercise a breeze. They all promise to “melt off pounds” and “transform your body” in little time and less effort, and all they cost are several installments of an arm, a leg or your first born. But the truth is you don’t need expensive contraptions to get the activity your body needs, or even the intense workout you may want. No matter what your fitness level is, it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to stay in shape.
Lighter every day activities
It’s important to maintain good health by getting a little activity in every day. Even if you’re not a exercise junkie, making sure your body gets the regular movement it needs is vital to keeping good health. Sticking with it can get tricky if you don’t get creative and mix it up.
- Walking is an obvious one and it works for everyone. Whether you’re walking to music, walking with friends, walking your dog or walking for transportation, there’s no doubt it’s one of the best activities out there, no costly equipment required.
- Dancing! No, you don’t have to be good at it. Do it in the privacy of your own home with your favorite music playing. This can even be done between or during other stuff you have to get done like laundry and cooking. Just get your body moving for ten or more minutes; you can really get into it and work up a sweat.
- Playing catch at the park with friends and a frisbee can really burn calories. A 150lb person can burn just over a hundred calories doing this for just 30 min. according to ProHealth.com’s calorie calculator . If you are counting calories it’s easy to keep track of the number of calories you’re burning by entering your own information and selecting an activity and how long you did it.
- Helping a friend watch her kids — this is obviously if you don’t have any of your own to watch. If you do you know they can be a serious workout.
- Do some yardwork or gardening. You’ll be helping you and your house look great.
More serious workouts
You can still get high octane workouts without shelling out major dough.
- Local Libraries have tapes and dvds of different workouts to do at home for different levels of fitness. They even have books with workouts you read and then try in all varieties such as pilates, yoga, and almost anything.
- The internet is a treasure trove for different workouts. Good Housekeeping’s website lists several according to what results you’re looking for and how much time you have to do it in.
- The TV is also a good source of workout material. If you have On Demand it’s easy to find workouts there, or check out Lifetime and workout with Denise Austin. TV Guide or your favorite internet search engine can give you show times and channels.
- Stairs near your house or in your house provide great cardio. You never realize how intense a workout stairs can be till you go up and down them several times.
- Jump roping is a huge calorie burner and jump ropes are not expensive.
- Circuit workouts are some of the most intense out there. An example would be to do cardio, like jumping rope, for a set amount of time, immediately move to strength training like push-ups, back to cardio like jumping jacks, back to strength like squats and so forth. You can do each a minute or two minutes. Come up with your own and keep it creative so you don’t get bored.
If you feel like you do need impressive equipment to get the best workout go check out some yardsales. Chances are when it comes to used workout machines they’re usually in pretty good shape and mostly just collected dust in the owner’s home. Or play equipment swap with a friend and use each others.
If you want to use a gym see if some one you know with a membership will let you tag along.
Besides saving money, changing it up and keeping things interesting means these good habits you’re making are more likely to stick. And when it comes to ideas, this is just the tip of the iceberg. For more ideas about cheap and interesting workouts do your own search online, in libraries or in magazines. You might be surprised and hey, you’ll be getting activity already.